I have seen many bloggers start a blog flying blind. If you want to make money with your blog, flying blind is not going to work. I am creating a basic checklist for starting a blog that will help you make money.
First of course I hope you have narrowed down your niche and found your avenue or affiliate products that support it. This is this first critical step on the checklist. If you have a blog with no vision or content that just isn’t relevant, you will be spitting in the wind. Get some help if you need it in finding your niche. Now, onto the checklist for starting a blog.
Checklist for Starting a Blog
Choose Your Blogging Platform to Start a Blog
- You will need to decide what platform you would like to blog on. There are endless possibilities here, but I always go with WordPress on your own site. Not the WordPress dot com website. There is a difference in wordpress.com and WordPress on your own website. The dot com is free and very limited. Installing WordPress on your own own website is done on your one web hosting account and gives you complete control. You can make a WordPress website from scratch with our help and it’s not that hard, so don’t let it slow you down.
- Make sure you have categories in place in your blog. In this blog, I cover affiliate marketing, seo, and a couple other things and mark my post accordingly. Again, this is where narrowing your niche comes into the picture. If you have a bunch of categories and none of them have anything at all to do with one another, you have done something wrong.
- Have visible social share buttons in place. You want your readers to be able to share your posts. Social Media is a free traffic source and I know bloggers that get thousands of visits a day on social media.
- Make sure your blog easy on the eye. Example, a black background with white writing just hurts the eyes. Long paragraphs will cause a reader to click off. Break your content up with sub titles and images!
- Submit to Google Webmaster tools
- Install Google Analytics
- a sitemap submitted to Google Webmaster Tools
- Google analytics or some other tracking in place. I use statcounter because it is just so dang easy.
- A captivating image or images that utilizing the image alt tag?
- good targeted keywords but not overstuffed keywords. Learn what buyer keywords are. Buyer keywords make a big difference in your conversion rates for sales on your blog.
- an optimized url
- links to other blog posts on your blog that are relevant to the current post.
- tags, from 5 to 7, no more than 10.
- at least 300 words, but the more the better. I go for 700 or more if possible
- affiliate link with a call to action. Each page you write should be monetized.
If you are just starting a blog, the above checklist is the basics that you will need. There are many other things to consider as well, but that would be a book. If you just use this checklist, it’s an excellent starting point to making money blogging. If you are new at this and want detailed step by step guide to installing your own WordPress and making money with your blog, you really should check out my home study course and Mastermind group at Pajama Affiliates.
Do you have anything particular that you consider a must have or must do for starting a blog. Please share in the comments below.